Thursday, December 22, 2005

Merry Christmas 2005




Happy Holidays Everyone, December 2005


2005 has been another great year filled with travel, adventure, friendship, romance, and good health. My students continue to frustrate me, inspire me, and amaze me as they grow, learn, and achieve. Bless the younger ones who continue to lose their locker key, fumble with their books and folders, and for all who ask as soon as they get their homework sheet, “I don’t understand”. Bless the older ones for having everything needed for class, for not asking everyday, “do we need to know this for the test”, and for their curiosity about life ahead of them. Bless both of them for their smiles, for their excitement when they do well, and for their friendship as they move on.

My circle of friends have grown as I met other travelers, Saudi families, nurses and doctors, folks in Jeddah, vendors from the tent souq, and a special tour guide in Al Ula. As always, my summers are special to me as I get to connect with old friends during my travels. This summer had an added bonus with attending my 25th high school reunion in CT where I also got to spend a week visiting with my grandmother who is still amazing and soon to be 102 in January.

My travels took me to new places, such as, Malaysia, Egypt, Bahrain, Denmark, and places in Saudi (Abha, Khamis Mushayt, Al Ula, Medain Salah) and to old haunts like Turkey, Ireland, London, the Netherlands, Germany, and Colorado. Thanks to everyone who hosted me and who where able to meet up for hikes, meals, and slide shows. Special thanks go to Lene from Denmark, my penpal of 30 years and a gracious host along with her huge German Shepard Kaiser. Although we have never met before, we never ran out of things to say or do.

Between the travels and visits, I make time for other activities. I cherish my 5am walks with the nurses, playing tennis with Michele, Dorelle and the growing gang of Brits and Americans, attending the monthly writer’s group, camping, going to parties, studying Arabic, spending time doing art, knitting, watching movies, reading and writing letters to you.

With the ending of 2005 I think back to the start of the year. On January 1st I was in Melacca and attended the night time market on Jonker St in China town. I had my fortune told by a Chinese fortune teller and he said I am active and can’t sit still, I should be a teacher of geography or geology, I will write articles then a book, I am in good health but should eat more kiwi and papaya and to drink ginger juice. I did decide to eat a kiwi a day and I have not caught one cold this year. This brings me to my quote of the year and is from Dr. Stanley Turecki:

“Nothing happens until you decide.”

I chose this quote for two reasons. One, it is straightforward, simple, very true, and it has helped me move forward on some goals. And, secondly, I like the look of his last name. What will happen in 2006? I am still deciding what to do but I have many ideas. I would love to get a card or letter from you here at Al Hada. If anyone has extra calendars for 2006 I could use them in my apt and at school. Have a decisive 2006!

Becky of Arabia

Al Hada Military Hospital
PO Box 1347 HHRC
Box 1394
Taif, KSA
tumicki23@yahoo.com
00966501313057 (mobile)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home